The Student Health Advisory Committee is:
- a dedicated group of students voicing the needs & concerns of the UNI student body.
- comprised of students and Health Center staff who have an interest and concern about the health of UNI students.
The role of the University of Northern Iowa Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is to inform students about fees, services, and educate students about health issues and prevention. Any recommendations coming from the Student Health Advisory Committee for increases in the Mandatory Health Fee must be presented to the Student Services Fee Committee prior to the SSF development of its recommendations for any given year.
From left to right (Natalee Lyons, MacKenzie Helle, Kara Hooper, Shawna Jesse, Kelsey Minor, Samantha Carroll)
SHAC Executive Team Members, 2020-2021
President - Kara Hooper
Secretary and Treasurer - Kelsey Minor
UNI Staff Advisor - Shawna Jesse (email@example.com), Health Promotion Coordinator
SHAC General Team Members, 2020-2021
- Advocate for the health needs of students
- Advise the Director and University Student Body President on Student Health Clinic programs, scope of services and programs
- Educate students about Student Health Center resources
- Conduct outreach to build Student Health Center visibility
- Assess Student Health Center programs to ensure student needs are met
- Recommend policy changes to better meet student needs
- Administer and collects information through patient or student surveys
- Promote healthy decision making with campus campaigns and programs
Benefits of being a SHAC member:
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Help improve the quality of student life through better health
- Network with other campus leaders
- Participation can be documented on your resume for further professional education or careers
To be a part of the SHAC team:
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a SHAC application for you to complete.
Follow SHAC on social media to stay updated on the latest on-campus health and wellness events/programs AND to receive wellness tips!
Facebook: Student Health Advisory Committee